Tuesday 8 January 2013

Happy Birthday, David (2013) - Where Are We Now?

I look through the window and what do I see? Holy cow, a new David Bowie single! I'm sure I'm just one of an army of bloggers embedding this one today.



It sounds a bit sad to me.

It doesn't have the immediate 'holy shit!' of something like Suffragette City or Heroes, but it's pleasingly mellow. Is it good or bad? I think Bowie's a bit beyond good and bad. A new song after 10 years from such an iconic artist becomes part of a narrative that eclipses questions or good or bad.

That's the down side of being an icon.

2 comments:

  1. "Is it good or bad? I think Bowie's a bit beyond good and bad."

    This sounds like Nietzsche's review of a Bowie record. Could be the start of a new series - next week, Mikhail Bakunin discusses Rod Stewart's Christmas album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, 70s Bowie would appreciate the Nietzsche reference. However, I wouldn't say Rod Stewart's Christmas Album is beyond good and bad!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.